Monday, April 13, 2009

NetSmartz

I talked to a high school senior--age 17. He hadnt really ever heard of cyberbullying and didnt know what it was. He only uses the computer for information on the current sports and homework, occasionally he will use facebook or email. I talked to him about what was appropriate to have on his profile. He was not aware of the dangers of posting personal information such as phone numbers and addresses as well as age, etc. I explained why it's important to be cautious about the information you give out on the internet. I talked to him about some of the dangers of chatrooms and some of the horrific things we viewed in class. He was a little bit taken aback and said that it was hard to understand why people would do something like that. I think it was a positive experience because I was able to share some good information and help inform someone of the dangers that exist on the internet. Hopefully he will be more cautious from now on and be aware of the information that he is giving out online.

No comments:

Post a Comment